Friday, May 8, 2009

Latter Day Soul Winners




While my interest in sweet soul music starts fading out by the late-'60s -- due pretty much to the coked-up, slick production and creeping disco-influence to come later -- there were a few stone cold gems released in the early '70s. The Chi-Lites' "Stoned Out Of My Mind" (1973) came to my attention via The Jam's take on the tune (the b-side of their "Beat Surrender" 45), and over the years has been used in more than a few movies and TV episodes. The Five Stairsteps' "Ooh Child" (1970) on the other hand, seems to have been part of my very fabric for as long as I can recall, and always raises the hairs on my arms... Grab 'em both below.

Download: "Stoned Out Of My Mind" by The Chi-Lites
Download: "Ooh Child" by The Five Stairsteps

No comments: