Monday, March 1, 2021

Pharaoh's Dance

 

"As I listened, leaning over the amps with my jaw hanging agape, trying to comprehend the forces that Miles was unleashing onstage, I was thinking, 'What’s the use? How can we possibly play after this? We should just go home and try to digest this unbelievable sh!t.' This was our first encounter with Miles’ new direction. Bitches Brew had only just been released, but I know I hadn’t yet heard any of it. In some ways, it was similar to what we were trying to do in our free jamming, but ever so much more dense with ideas, and seemingly controlled with an iron first, even at its most alarmingly intense moments. Of us all, only Jerry had the nerve to go back and meet Miles, with whom he struck up a warm conversation. Miles was surprised and delighted to know that we knew and loved his music."

Words: Phil Lesh from Searching For Sound: My Life WIth The Grateful Dead

No comments: